Saturday, November 21, 2009

What a Day!





Well here is part of my private collection which consists of handbags, beaded key chains and hand knitted scarves. Some of my handbags are knitted, some are felted wool with needle felted designs and others are old purses salvaged and re purposed. I had an opportunity yesterday, 11/20, to share my private collection at a Craft Fair at Rotary Intl in Evanston, Il.

You can say I can't leave well enough alone. I love to take an existing bag, paint it, add fur trim, embellish it with some bobble, like a vintage pin, feathers even a magazine advertisement or try using unusual yarns and combining them to make a unique scarf or knitting with fabric.

Each one is one of a kind and I have names for most of them. Like the Black and White knitted fabric bag, I call it 'The Third Rail', pictured here. Most of my knitting takes place on the CTA's Purple Line. One day I was waiting for the train at Wabash and Randolph, knitting my purse, when the ball of fabric fell down and rolled off the platform. There I was trying to pull up the fabric as it unrolled in mid air; eventually finding its way onto Wabash. I feared it would break and I would lose the remaining ball of fabric yarn. I was almost done with the handbag and had just enough fabric left to finish it. Plus the spool it was wound on was heavy and could hurt someone if it hit them in the head. I don't know what happened to the spool, I did look for it, but I was able to save the fabric. Of course, I missed my train but I think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment