Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Designs come from many wonderful sources

Hello there!

Last summer during our wonderful trip to Scotland, our fantastic friends who live in England joined us for a few days in Scotland.  Needless to say it was and is always fantastic to see them.  Their daughter Julia has been one of my most special friends.  Her witty, intelligent, joyous demeanor is something I always enjoy being around.  She is wise beyond her age and quite the gourmand thanks to her father. 

But her mother is one who believes in experiencing each and every day to it's fullest.  She encourages her daughter to draw, dance, and do just about anything creative.  So during our trip, while we are all just hanging out talking and eating, Julia designed some fabric patterns using paper (kitchen) towels.  Did I mention she is 10? 

Her original design is at right.  I took it, scanned it, and printed it on fabric on our inkjet.  The treatment for the fabric is to rinse it in vinegar to set the ink (following the instructions of the fabric).  The fabric came out much lighter - pastel-like rather than vibrant like the original.  But I liked it.

What did that mean?  It means I had to make something with it but not for me -- for her.  This project has been on my desk since before Christmas.  Today was the day to get it done!

I decided to make a simple zippered shoulder bag for her.  With a grosgrain ribbon handle and a lovely crochet flower embellishment.  It is headed into the mail this week to her for a little jump start to Spring. 



Here's to Spring!




No comments:

Post a Comment